Apologies - it's been a while. I am currently studying with the Open University and haven't got any spare time.
But on a brighter note, I won a PHP Coding competition with this entry.
I hope everyone had a nice Christmas and are making great plans for new year celebrations. I have put the sugar sync Linux client on hold for the moment, as i am finishing a client website at the moment which is taking up a fair bit of time.
In February I start my "computer and mathematical sciences" degree so will have a bit less time to do my projects so if anyone would like to contribute to the sugar sync Linux client i am more then happy to get the ball rolling.
Have a wonderful new year.
I have added support for file renames (currently only within the same working directory - but this is on my list to fix) and file deletes, so the code is now volatile (in such that it can delete data from the Sugarsync servers, with no restore available)
I'm going to work on fixing a big bug for the moment now these core features are in, then start on a "copy" trick i'm thinking about (if a file is copied locally without change - I should be able to copy the remote file without requiring an upload)
I am going to ask a quick question... As this app is daemon/command line based, I am more then willing to build a web GUI for it.
Either making apache a pre-requisite or building something like tomcat and using a different port to enable a gui.
I would love to build a little system tray icon and bits - but it's not my language.
Also if any graphic designers (sugarsync design team ) want to come onboard with some designing work (I'm a developer not a designer) i'll be more then willing to share my ideas.
I've updated git with my most recent changes
I have planned out the next few steps - mainly file renaming and file deletions. iNotify picks up a file rename as a delete and a move (how odd) and sugarsync can accept a copy command to rename a file, then delete the old one.
Luckily iNotify groups notifications together by a cookie so should be able to sort something out - in the mean time i'm doing a delete then an upload (terrible with large files I know)
The file deletion code is in, but there is still one big bug hanging around, throughout the code base - may require me to adjust the database layout slightly. (some type of path rebuilding / comparison is needed)
Also I NEED to convert my MySQL class to sqlite and use that (more portability).
I am also thinking of using a self contained version of php with sqlite and iNotify pre-compiled (mainly to add to portability as iNotify is an awkward thing to build)
If anyone can offer any help for any of these - drop me an email.
I have put the first release of my linux client on github now details are at: http://mwillis.co.uk/projects/sugarsync-linux-client/ Please feel free to comment / test my code out.
Unfortunately production on the SugerSync Client has slowed this week - mainly due to have 4 big server moves to organise and complete.
However these will be finished this weekend and I can focus on this once again.
I thought I would just update you on where I am at.
It's great news! I now have a client that works (most kinks/bugs out).
Folders that are synced are "Contacts, Magic Briefcase, Mobile Photos, Web Archive (soon to be removed from sync), Deleted Files (soon to be removed from sync too)"
Also and "Shared folders" on the account are also downloaded with the option to upload if you have privileges to do so ( it's the feature requested here: Re: Limitations of "Shared Folder" function - http://support.sugarsync.com/ics/forum/Client/Common/ContentView.aspx?contentID=90386&PageNo=2)
I have a few small things to do still:
-- Improve the upload check: currently it's a bit lazy (finds newly downloaded files as modified and then uploads them)
-- Build a facility to delete files on the server!!!
-- Migrate the MySQL database to sqlite for portability
-- Change the setup file to be config based rather then code
-- Build a better logging facility to help diagnose problems
-- Build a script to remove all data & empty data for testing purposes
SugarSync have been great the past few weeks helping me with the hiccups I have been having but i'm hoping to have a release by the weekend (or midweek next week)
This release is ALPHA and shouldn't be used in production, There is no delete feature yet - So your online data should be safe still
Through the api I can only do (for the moment) whole file download/upload so if you have large files it may take some time to update them.
Just thought I would update you on were I am with my linux client for sugarsync. I have fixed a few more bugs (mainly the big bug, if you update a file whilst it's downloading a new version it won't replace the old fine, but create a new one)
I am talking to sugarsync about a few little tweaks I would like to make, and also building a test suite to check and reduce overall disk IO and CPU load.
Good News - my SugarSync client is now in alpha - with the ability to download and upload files and folders based on last modified times.
I will provide some initial source code once I have tidied it up a bit and done some more extensive testing.